BUSINESSWEEK The McGraw-Hill Companies, New York City 1987-2007.
As Acting Art Director directed the overall design of the magazine as well as two bi-monthly supplements: Small Biz and IN: Inside Innovation. Conceptualized and designed covers, reviewed and critiqued all layouts, and oversaw all production aspects of the publication including color approvals and ad placement.
• Strategized with the Editor-in-Chief and senior staff on a new design direction for the magazine. Prepared and presented team ideas for revamping the format of the magazine. Led the creative group to initiate a design change.
• Proposed newly designed logo and brand identity for a multiplatform BusinessWeek.
• Implemented a redesign of the charts and tables to create a cleaner, more sophisticated look.
• Managed a staff of 35 art directors, photo editors, graphic artists and imaging personnel.
Managing Art Director
• Expanded role in overseeing the overall execution of the design and editorial principles of the magazine.
• Managed work flow in 11 person art department. Navigated vacation schedules and rebalanced assignments.
• Designed covers and features for weekly magazine and special issues.
• Was integral in implementing BusinessWeek’s 2004 redesign. Participated in all senior strategic meetings.
International Art Director
• Organized and managed the production of three international editions: Asia, Europe and Latin America.
• Designed separate cover treatments and layout variations for each issue. Managed two assistant art directors.
Art Director, 'Innovation In America,' 1989 Business Week Special Issue
• Created original design, including cover, typography, format, illustration assignments, page design and color quality. National Magazine Award Finalist in special issue category.
THE JOURNALIST Society of Professional Journalists, Indianapolis, IN
Design Director / Freelance 2004-2006
• Created brand identity for professional organization with their 80 page annual convention publication.
• Assembled creative team to design and produce glossy, photo driven magazine. Designed logo and format. Managed and oversaw all scheduling and production. Adhered to a very tight art budget.
DATELINE Overseas Press Club of America, New York City
Design Director / Freelance 1995-2000
• Repositioned organization's 92 page, annual awards magazine to assist in marketing and expanding the membership of the OPC. Organized and designed entire publication while supervising all aspects of production.
TIME Time Inc., New York City
Assistant Art Director / Layout Artist 1985-1987
• Art directed International, Business and Arts sections. Assigned illustrations, selected photos, designed pages.
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED Time Inc., New York City
Layout Artist 1984
• Executed layout design of pages in the weekly magazine and 1984 Olympics and Pro Football special issues.